If you’ve already worked on Compact Layouts for the desktop version of Salesforce, this whole process is going to be a breeze! And if you haven’t, fret not. You’ll be a pro at creating Compact Layouts in no time.
What are Compact Layouts?
As soon as you open a record in the Salesforce Mobile App, you’re greeted by a couple of highlights about the record in the header of the page. What you see in the header of the page is controlled by Compact Layouts. We can include up to 10 fields in this area.
How to Create a Compact Layout for the Salesforce Mobile?
Let’s create a Compact Layout for the contact Object.
1. From Setup, click Object Manager and open the Contact object.
2. Select Compact Layouts from the sidebar.
3. Click New in the top-right corner.
4. Enter the following:
- Label: New Contact Compact Layout
- Let’s shift the following fields from Available Fields to Selected Fields in the same order: Name, Email, and Mobile.
5. Click Save.
How to Assign the Compact Layout to the Users?
Let’s assign the Compact Layout we created as the Primary Compact Layout. Until we do that Salesforce will continue to use the default layout for the record highlights.
1. Click on Compact Layout Assignment.
2. Click on Edit Assignment.
3. For Primary Compact Layout, select New Contact Compact Layout from the drop-down menu.
4. Click Save.
That’s it! We created a Compact Layout and assigned the compact layout as the the Primary Compact Layout.
How to Test the Compact Layout in the Salesforce Mobile App?
Let’s see how the changes we made reflect in the record highlights section of the Contact Object in the mobile version of Salesforce.
1. Open the Salesforce app on your mobile device.
2. Open Contacts from the Navigation Menu.
3. Open any Contact record page.
4. Pull down the screen to refresh the app.
5. And voila! Look at that. The fields you selected for the compact layout appear in the record highlights of the Contact object in the same order.