Table of Contents
I think we can all agree that visual cues make things so much easier, when you’re strolling through your local mall, don’t you rely on the signboards (for the elevator, escalators and restrooms) to find what you want in a flash. The same goes for the Salesforce App, the navigation bar and menu are like signboards for your Users, and ensuring you place the right items in the right place guarantees a smooth sailing ride for your User.
The Mobile Navigation Bar and Menu
The Navigation Bar lives at the bottom of your screen, it places important navigation items in a convenient location for your Users.
To go to the Navigation Menu, tap on the Navigation Bar. The User can access all the objects, apps, and items from the menu.
As long as you’ve enabled the Lightning App for mobile, you can access the App from the App Launcher. You can switch between Apps using the App Launcher. If you or your Users change the ordering of Apps on the App Launcher on the desktop, those changes sync to the mobile App Launcher.
When an App is enabled for both desktop and phone, the navigation tabs on the desktop version and the items on the navigation menu on the mobile version are in the same order. Any changes you make in the ordering of your navigation menu in the mobile version reflect in the navigation tab of the desktop version and vice-versa.
To change the order of items on the navigation menu from the mobile App, tap on the Edit icon. A point to note here is that the first 4 items on the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen are the first four items in the navigation menu.
How to Customize the Navigation Menu?
Let’s edit the navigation menu for the Sales App.
- In Setup, enter App Manager in the Quick Find Box.
- Select App Manager.
- Click next to the Sales App (with LightiningSales as the developer name).
- Click Edit.
- Select App Options from the sidebar and ensure that the radio button for Desktop and phone is checked.
- Select Navigation Items from the sidebar.
- Remove all items from Selected Items and add the following items to Selected Items in the same order: Opportunities, Accounts, Chatter, Contacts, Dashboards, Energy Audits, Leads, Knowledge, Campaigns, and Cases.
- Click Save.
Your users can change the order in which these navigation items appear if they have the permissions to do so, but they cannot delete or rename any of the items on the list.
I faced an interesting issue after saving these changes. The Sales App (both mobile and desktop) refused to reflect these changes. To solve that issue, navigate to the Sales App on your desktop and click on the pencil icon in the navigation bar and select Reset Navigation to Default and then click Save. And you’re good to go.
How to Test the Changes in the Navigation Menu in Salesforce Mobile App
Let’s see the new, customized navigation menu in the mobile app:
- Open Salesforce on your mobile device.
- Tap on to open the navigation menu.
- If you’re not on the Sales Lightning App, tap App Launcher and open Sales.
- Pull down to refresh the App.