A common practice when creating reports and dashboards is to copy an existing report and modify it. But where do we get these sample reports and dashboards to modify? AppExchange has what we need!
Sample reports and dashboard packages by Salesforce Labs are available on the AppExchange. They’re free and can be copied and then modified to fit your needs.
Example: Salesforce CRM Dashboards, Knowledge Base Dashboards, Reports, etc.
Install an App from AppExchange
Let’s install AppExchange Dashboard Pack for Sales, Marketing, and Service from the AppExchange.
1. Log into your AppExchange account.
2. To access the listing for AppExchange Dashboard Pack for Sales, Marketing, and Service on AppExchange, click here.
3. Click Get It Now.
4. Choose your Connected Salesforce Account from the dropdown list.
5. Depending on whether you want to install the package in your Production org or Sandbox, click Install (The best practice is to install the package in a sandbox first).
6. Click Confirm and Install after agreeing to the terms and conditions.
7. You’ll be directed to login into your org now.
8. After logging in, you’ll be asked to choose the permission setting for the app. Choose Install for all Users. Click Install.
9. You should receive an email once the installation is complete.
Access Installed Packages
Follow these steps to view the components and dependencies of the installed app:
1. Open Setup.
2. Enter the Installed Packages within the Quick Find Box. Then select the Installed Packages.
2. You should be able to find AppX Dashboard Pak in the list. Open the package to view its Components and Dependencies.
Once you’ve installed a sample report package from the AppExchange, follow these steps to modify any Report in the package. The best practice when it comes to editing reports is to make a copy of it and work on the copy so that you don’t write over a report someone else might wish to keep.
1. From Reports, open the report you want to edit.
2. To make a copy of the report, expand the action menu and click Save As.
3. Give the copied report a name, and click Save.
That’s it! Now you can customize the copied report safely! You can add or remove a column, change the filters or add a new filter! The options are endless.
Just as with reports, we need to create a copy of the dashboard before we make changes.
1. Navigate to Dashboards and open the dashboard you wish to edit.
2. Expand the action menu and click Save As.
3. Name the copy and specify a folder, and click Create.
Now you can get started on modifying the dashboard. You can add components and filters, edit a component, rearrange the components, and more.
The customizations that can be performed on the reports and dashboards are endless! After saving a copy you can try the customizations mentioned here or get creative and try your own.
- Add new dashboard components
- Modify an existing dashboard component – change the name, resize, reposition, change component type, etc
- Add a date range
- Change the report format( tabular, matrix, or summary)
- Add a relative date range – LAST MONTH, YESTERDAY, etc
- Change the order of columns
- Add or remove a column
- Add a new filter
The modifications you can make are limited to your imagination. Get creative and start modifying!