Table of Contents
Introduction of ITIL Certification
ITIL is a collection of best practices and recommendations for managing IT services. ITIL stands for Information Technology Infrastructure Library. ITIL certification is a widely recognized credential for IT service management professionals. The ITIL certification program was created to give IT professionals an organized approach to IT service management. Various topics include service strategy, design, transition, operation, and ongoing service improvement.
The UK Cabinet Office and Capita plc have formed a joint venture business called AXELOS to oversee the ITIL certification program. The ITIL framework is developed, maintained, and AXELOS manages the ITIL certification program. The ITIL certification has various tiers, from Foundation to Master. For higher-level certificates, the Foundation level serves as an introduction to the ITIL framework. The Expert level necessitates a thorough comprehension of the ITIL framework and its implementation in real-world circumstances, while the Intermediate level goes through individual ITIL topics in more detail. The Master ITIL certification is the highest level and calls for applicants to show they can use ITIL principles in challenging circumstances.
ITIL certification is very costly in the IT sector, and companies frequently demand it for IT service management positions. Showcasing their understanding and proficiency in IT service management best practices can improve an IT professional’s job chances.
What is ITIL Certification?
The ITIL certification is a professional credential that verifies a person’s knowledge of and comprehension of best practices in IT service management. ITIL certification gives people an organized approach to deploying and maintaining IT services. AXELOS, a partnership between the UK Cabinet Office and Capita plc, oversees ITIL certification. There are numerous levels in the certification program, including Foundation, Intermediate, Expert, and Master. For each station, passing an exam and completing the necessary training are requirements for proving ITIL practice proficiency.
Employers enormously respect ITIL certification, widely recognized in the IT sector. It indicates a person’s capacity to use ITIL concepts and practices to enhance IT service delivery, and it may open doors to more excellent employment prospects and higher pay.
Types of ITIL Certification?
An individual can get different ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) certifications, with each level building on the knowledge and abilities of the previous level. The many ITIL certificates include:
- ITIL Foundation: The entry-level certification, ITIL Foundation, offers a fundamental comprehension of the ITIL framework, its jargon, and its basic ideas. Higher-level ITIL certificates require Foundation certification as a prerequisite.
- Intermediate ITIL: Service Lifecycle and Service Capability are the two streams at this level. The Service Lifecycle stream is concerned with all aspects of the IT service lifecycle, including service strategy, design, transition, operation, and continuous service improvement. The procedures, responsibilities, and tasks involved in providing IT services are the main topics of the Service Capability stream.
- ITIL Expert: This certification thoroughly comprehends the ITIL framework and how to use it in practical situations. Seventeen credits are the most from the Foundation, and Intermediate levels are required for this certification and passing the Managing Across the Lifecycle (MALC) test.
- ITIL Master: The highest level of ITIL certification, ITIL Master, is intended for professionals who thoroughly understand the ITIL framework. To earn this certification, individuals must show that they can apply ITIL practices and concepts to challenging real-world scenarios.
People can pursue any level of ITIL certification based on their knowledge and experience, and each group requires passing an exam. Professionals must regularly renew their ITIL certification to stay current with the most recent ITIL practices and rules.
How to get ITIL Certification?
Here are the general steps that must be followed to obtain an ITIL certification:
- Select your certification level: You should select the level of ITIL certification that best fits your expertise and professional objectives, as several groups are available.
- Join a training program: Attending an ITIL provider’s authorized training program is advised. You have the option of doing self-paced online training, virtual training, or classroom training.
- Review the details: Attend the training session and familiarise yourself with the ITIL materials, such as the official guides and practice exams.
- Schedule and pass the exam: Once you are sure of your understanding of ITIL, plan and take the ITIL certification exam, and make sure you pass it. Depending on the certification level, the format and length of the test varies.
- You will get your certification: You will earn your ITIL certification after passing the exam. On the AXELOS website, you may check your certification status.
Professionals must regularly renew their ITIL certification to stay current with the most recent ITIL practices and rules. Additionally, it is advised to conduct some research to find a reputable ITIL training provider who meets your needs and provides high-quality instruction that satisfies the requirements for ITIL certification.
How Much Does ITIL Certification Cost?
Depending on the certification level, the training provider, and the nation or location where you take the test, many factors affect ITIL certification costs. ITIL certification often costs between a few hundred and several thousand dollars. Here are some approximate prices:
- ITIL Foundation: Depending on the training provider and region, the Foundation level test can cost between $150 and $500.
- ITIL Intermediate: Depending on the training provider and region, the cost of the Intermediate level tests can range from $250 to $800 for each module. The Intermediate level consists of five modules, and you can select one or more to take.
- ITIL Expert: To get the Expert level certification, candidates must pass the Managing Across the Lifecycle (MALC) test, which can cost between $500 and $1000.
- ITIL Master: Depending on the training provider and region, the cost of the Master level certification varies.
It is important to remember that the price of ITIL certification may also include training programs, books, and test fees. Certain training providers may additionally provide discounts or package offers for several certificates or modules. It is advised to research the various exam possibilities and training providers to select the best choice that matches your goals and budget.
Benefits of ITIL Certification
Getting an ITIL certification has several advantages, such as:
- Better employment opportunities: Employers value ITIL certification greatly, which may set you apart. The ITIL certification might lead to new work chances since it is preferred or required by many job advertisements.
- Increased earning potential: Higher salaries and better job prospects are possible with ITIL certification, which can also increase your earning potential. According to Global Knowledge research, IT workers who have earned their ITIL certification often make 16% more than their non-certified peers.
- Improved IT service management capabilities: ITIL certification teaches people the best management practices for IT services and offers a systematic approach to IT service management. Professionals may increase their overall performance and job processes with this expertise.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development: Obtaining ITIL certification shows a dedication to continued professional growth and continual learning, which is a sign of professional devotion. Employers may find this appealing, making job seekers stand out.
- Recognition as a subject matter expert: Obtaining ITIL certification helps establish a person as a subject matter expert in their industry and shows that they have a thorough grasp of IT service management. Increased respect from peers and upper administration within the company can result from this recognition.
Obtaining an ITIL certification may give people a competitive edge in the job market, raise their earning potential, and help them improve in IT service management.
Career Scope of ITIL Certification
Worldwide, organizations employ the ITIL framework for managing IT services. A thorough grasp of ITIL principles and practices may be acquired through ITIL certification, which can improve professionals’ job chances in IT service management.
The ITIL certification can be advantageous for a variety of professional routes, including:
- IT Service Management (ITSM) Professionals: Professionals in IT service management (ITSM) are strongly motivated to obtain ITIL certification since it equips them with the knowledge and abilities to put ITIL best practices into practice and enhance IT service delivery.
- IT Project Managers: IT project managers may gain ITIL certification since it enables them to manage IT projects more effectively and efficiently by coordinating project objectives with organizational demands.
- IT Consultants: ITIL certification can give IT consultants a market advantage as it attests to their knowledge of IT service management and their capacity to offer clients high-quality IT solutions.
- IT support specialists: Getting an ITIL certification will assist IT support specialists in having a better understanding of IT service management, which will increase their capacity to offer end users effective and efficient support.
- IT Operations Professionals: IT service management expertise may be improved by obtaining an ITIL certification, enabling IT operations professionals to manage and maintain IT systems and infrastructure.
Overall, ITIL certification can be a valuable asset for professionals to enhance their career prospects in IT service management.
ITIL Certification Education Partners
The Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) has many certified education partners that provide training programs and certification tests. Some of the most well-liked ITIL education partners are listed below:
- AXELOS: The official supplier of ITIL training and certification is AXELOS. They provide a range of training alternatives, including in-person, online, and virtual classes.
- Global Knowledge: Offering ITIL training courses and certification examinations, Global Knowledge is a top IT and business training provider.
- ITSM Academy: ITSM Academy is an organization that focuses on IT service management and offers training and consulting services. They provide ITIL training programs and examinations for certification.
- Pink Elephant: Pink Elephant is a global provider of IT service management services, including ITIL training and examinations for certification.
- PeopleCert: ITIL training programs and certification tests are provided by PeopleCert, which provides IT certification and accreditation services.
Exploring and evaluating several ITIL education partners is advised to discover the right match for your learning preferences, financial constraints, and certification objectives. Look for partners who have an excellent reputation in the sector and are AXELOS approved.
How to Prepare for ITIL Certification
Following are some steps you can take to get ready for your ITIL certification:
Select the ITIL certification level that best matches your experience and professional objectives—the stories of ITIL certification run from Foundation to Master.
- Enrol in a training program: Participate in an ITIL training program from an education partner like AXELOS, Global Knowledge, or ITSM Academy that has been approved. You have the option of self-paced instruction in a virtual or online classroom.
- Study the material: Examine the ITIL readings, including the governing texts, sample tests, and any other study materials made available by the course.
- Take practice tests: Practice exams will help you become comfortable with the exam format, pinpoint your weak points, and gain confidence. A lot of ITIL education partners include sample tests in their training programs.
- Look over your notes: Check your notes frequently to make sure you comprehend the main ideas and procedures. Mind maps or flashcards can help you organize your notes and aid memorization.
- Join a study group: Study groups may be a great way to obtain support, remain motivated, and learn from others. You may sign up for a study group in person or online.
- Schedule and take the exam: Schedule and take the certification test as soon as you’re satisfied with your understanding of ITIL. Depending on the certification level, the format and length of the test varies.
Remember to provide enough time for studying and test preparation and to take breaks to prevent burnout. To retain your knowledge and abilities, staying up to speed with the most recent ITIL practices and recommendations and regularly renewing your certification is crucial.