Preface – This post is part of the SAP Multi-Target Application (MTA) series.
Table of Contents
A Multi-Target Application (SAP MTA) is a package comprised of multiple libraries, application and resource modules. These have been created using different technologies and deployed to different runtimes but have a common life-cycle. You can bundle different modules together, describe them along with their inter-dependencies to other modules, services, and interfaces, and package them in a Multi-Target Application(MTA) .
Technologies and Tools Involved in SAP MTA
|Hana Data Base
|Store Business Data
|This can be any database
|Add Business logic
|In place of ABAP, business logic will be written here
|Like convention Fiori Application, the UI will be developed in same uniform manner
|SAP Cloud Foundry
|The MTA application is deployed in to SAP Cloud Foundry as a mta.yaml file
|all your UI apps go in here; one or more of such in subfolders
|all your service definitions and implementations go in here
|The default location in which you store your design-time database artifacts. If needed, you can create additional subfolders for the same purpose.
|your project descriptor, for example, listing dependencies
|All the relevant dependencies of the module are defined in the MTA descriptor
|A root file for all your custom event handlers
|All node modules sit here
|the main .js file (A root file for all your node calls under the Node Module folder)
|Add your corresponding description and dependencies of Node.js modules
|To maintain a catalogue of all the Node script files and share the same with one place for reference
|Created only if XSJS support is enabled for the module. Contains XSUnit test (.xsjslib) files.
|This folder is created for modules without XSJS support. It contains .js test files.
Note: */ denotes a folder and /* signifies a file
We need to consider the following limits for the SAP MTA deployment on SAP Cloud Foundry deploy service:
- Maximum size of the MTA archive: 4 GB
- Maximum size of MTA module content: 4 GB
- Maximum size of MTA resource content: 1 GB
- Maximum size of MTA descriptors (mtad.yaml and MANIFEST.MF): 1 MB
- The MTA descriptor is built in the YAML format and has strict syntax requirements. You can edit the descriptor in the text-based code editor, but it is recommend to use the visual MTA editor because it provides input validation.
- Use the HTML5 Application Repository in a Multitarget Application as it enables to update the HTML5 applications without restarting the application router in the Cloud Foundry environment.