Preface – This post is part of the ABAP Beginner series.
Table of Contents
What is SAP NetWeaver?
SAP NetWeaver is a technology by SAP which is developed primarily using ABAP. It is a solution stack of SAP’s technology products. In simpler words, it is a breadboard on which other hardware’s (here SAP Modules/ Non SAP modules) can be attached.
Following are the components of SAP NetWeaver (NW):
- SAP NW Application Server
- SAP NW Business Intelligence
- SAP NW Composition Environment (CE)
- SAP NW Enterprise Portal (EP)
- SAP NW Identity Management (IDM)
- SAP NW Master Data Management (MDM)
- SAP NW Mobile
- SAP NW Process Integration (PI)
What is a SAP NetWeaver Application Server?
The SAP NetWeaver Application Server is just like the nervous system of our body. It provides the runtime environment to the SAP applications. All of the SAP Business Suite e.g. ERP, CRM runs on SAP NetWeaver Application Server. Following layers will make it clearer:
|Presentation layer||UI5, Web Dynpro|
|Business layer (Application Layer)||ABAP/ Java|
|Integration layer||SAP PI (Product Integration)|
|Persistence layer (Database Layer)||Open SQL|
What is a SAP NetWeaver Gateway?
SAP NetWeaver Gateway helps Application tier to communicate with Presentation Layer. In three-tier architecture, the Presentation layer is GUI (UI5 nowadays) and Database Layer is HANA Database (nowadays).
SAP Gateways is the middle or Application tier. This Application layer is essential for communication between the UI and the backend.
The main motto to use multi-tier architecture was to implement a data processing system that will add a valuable level of modularity and flexibility to the system by developing and maintaining each tier individually. OData is used to exchange data.
What is an OData?
OData which stands for Open Data Protocol is an open source to exchange data over the Internet. It was built by Microsoft.
OData protocol is HTTP based, due to which any programming language with HTTP stack can consume OData services. The output is in the form of JSON or ATOM (i.e. XML).
Why SAP NetWeaver?
- Increases Efficiency of business processes by providing role based access
- Provides dynamic and cost effective communication between different teams
- Multichannel Enterprise access via different devices
- Provides development environment using both ABAP and non ABAP languages and connects them all using REST & SOAP APIs.