Web Dynpro in SAP ABAP is a standard technology which is used to create web-based applications using ABAP programing language. Web Dynpro includes many graphical development tools which are included in ABAP workbench. Because of the use of a graphical tool, it seems to be more user-friendly.
Definition and Creation
Web Dynpro applications are built using declarative programming techniques based on the MVC (Model View Controller) architecture. For developing the Web Dynpro entities, the Object navigator (TCODE SE80) is used.
Creation: Basic steps are:
Goto SE80 Tcode -> Repository Browser -> Create web Dynpro component -> In the component, the Main view will be created, in that view insert elements as per the requirement. Here we have created just the page header. There are various elements that can be created, for example, dropdown elements, rows, columns, etc.
After the creation, the whole web Dynpro component needs to saved and activated.
Creation of Web Dynpro in SAP ABAP
Steps for all the creations steps are shown below in the picture:
After the creation of the Web Dynpro application, right click on the application and test it. The auto generated URL will open in the internet explorer.
NOTE: In case the URL is not working then the connection can be checked in SICF Tcode, whether the connection is active in that particular system or not. (By default it is automatically activated in the system).
Path: SICF (TCODE) -> default_host -> sap -> public -> bc -> web dynpro
As stated earlier Web Dynpro in SAP ABAP applications are built on the MVC architecture. So now we will explain the MVC design in Web Dynpro.
1.Model: Model basically means the part which contains data, that means all the business logic will be implemented in the model part only. So in simple word we can say the model is a section which will provide the data.
2.View: View is the part where the user will be able to see the data.
3.Controller: The data that is processed in the model, needs to be displayed in the view. But to control the flow between model and view we need this part called a controller.
Pre-requisites to learn Web Dynpro in SAP ABAP
- Core ABAP Programming: Core ABAP programming is prerequisites because as stated earlier in the architecture section the logic for providing data will be written in the model. So the for that ABAP programming skill is required. If one is aware of the ABAP skill then it will be very easy to implement any business logic as per the requirement.
- Object-Oriented Programming: Oops knowledge is definitely beneficial in web dynpro applications because the as we are talking about the model and controllers these are all nothing but the classes which we implement by creating the objects for it.
- MVC Architecture: As discussed in the previous section, it is important to know the MVC design pattern to understand the web dynpro application for ABAP. Because the whole point of the application is to model the data and display it to the user which is happening with this design.
Benefits of Web Dynpro
- There are many benefits of using Web Dynpro as like:
- Due to the uses of graphical tools in Web Dynpro , implementation of coding part is reduced.
- Use of MVC design ensures the separation of layout and business data.
- There is a feature of data binding for the elements created in the view of Web Dynpro, due to which it enables the direct transport of data.
- It can run on number of platforms.