SAP ABAP RAP provides the intrinsic approach to build SAP Fiori based applications that are optimized for S/4 HANA and can run over on-premise as well as on the cloud. In this article we will learn how to create a SAP ABAP RAP Project.
Before we start with the development of our first project using SAP ABAP RAP, we need a few things ready:
SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment
You should have access to and an account for SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment.
Development Environment (IDE)
- Install ABAP Development Toolkit (ADT).
SAP recommends the latest version of the client installation. The download is available on https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/.
- Access to and an account for the relevant space in SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry.
To create development artifacts, you need to have a developer role in the ABAP environment.
- ABAP Core Data Services (CDS)
- ABAP Objects
- ABAP Syntax
Steps to create a SAP ABAP RAP Project
- Create an ABAP CDS View enabled with OData. Follow the steps mentioned here. This ABAP CDS View can be either basic, composite or consumption based upon the use case. The basic view is just a simple view created based upon ABAP table, the composite views are the ones that are created using multiple basic views or existing composite views. The consumption is the one that is consumed by the Fiori Apps (other views too can be consumed, it is created with final annotations such that UI5 has to call just this view and not the others).
- The very next thing that we create in ABAP RAP is a behavior definition. You can read the steps here. A behavior definition is an ABAP repository that represents the behavior of business objects in the context of SAP ABAP RAP. This is the place where we define the CRUD operations for the CDS Views.
- The last and important step is behavior Implementation. The steps to implement the same is mentioned here. This is the place where business logics are written.
Thus in above steps we have created an ABAP CDS View, an ABAP OData, behavior definition and behavior Implementation.
That’s it, this is how we create a SAP ABAP RAP Project. In our next articles, we will show you the implementation, step by step.